Thursday, December 9, 2010

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might

In the spirit of the season, let's take some time and share some of our favorite things about the holidays that we celebrate.  I'm sure we each have some special traditions or things that we enjoy the most this time of year.  Maybe it is the thrill of the hunt for that elusive item you want to get for someone.  Maybe it is the time that you get to spend with family and loved ones you only see this time of year.  Whatever it is, take a moment and share it with us.  Here is mine:

When I was growing up (and still to this day) we had a kind of ritual on Christmas day where my family and I each opened one present at a time.  We would pass out the gifts under the tree to each person and then we would go around in a circle so everyone knew who the gift was from and what the gift was that we were opening.  Each person would open one gift and then the next person would go and then so on.  When I was a kid, it was absolutely tortuous.  I just wanted to rip into my gifts as quickly as possible.  As I got older, I really began to appreciate this tradition when I realized how excited I got when someone opened a present that was from me.  I was able to watch their reaction (good or bad) and feel that rush or excitement you get  when that gift you are so proud of giving is finally received.

It is a tradition that I plan on carrying on in my own family as my children get older.  It gives you a chance to thank the giver on the spot and gives you the gift of someone thanking you.

If you don't do this in your family, I say try it for one year and see if you notice a difference.  I certainly have.

Looking forward to your traditions,
Mr. Fletcher

14 comments:

  1. My family tradition for Christmas is that everyone comes to my house to give out stuff and all of that.

    Logan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad and I smiled with pride as we read this post. To know that the tradition far outweighs the torture is great. Remember that the tradition started with Grandma Cook. I think it was her way of making each of us feel special. There were 10 in our circle Christmas Day...so I understand the torture. But the anticipation as you watched the others open their gifts and to see their smiles was such a great feeling. Even the year Grandma got 7 bottles of Evening in Paris perfume. Cost: $1.00 a bottle. So you can see it wasn't high end stuff, but each one was opened and received with a smile and thank you that made each of us feel special. Never a thought that the stuff was just perfumed water....to her it was beautiful.
    So, on her behalf, thanks for passing the tradition on to your sons.
    Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family tradition is that everyone comes to my house to have dinner and give out there gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family tradition is that my cousins and my family go to my Grandmas house. We open presents and eat dinner there. We also give presents to our cats. My favorite part is opening presents with my sister in the morning. Kamryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family wakes up at 4:00 in the morning. We open one present enjoy it and open the next one. we listen to christmas carols while we open our stockings. Then we have a big frech toast breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a tradition also.we have to wait till lunch then we wil open our presents.I like opening presents because we get to play with them after.


    Cody

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family tradition is my whole family comes and we make cookies and drink hot coco.Another family tradition of mine is we all sit aroud the tree and open are stockings first and then open a presants all together. Also we have a big christmas dinner. That is my family tradition. Riley

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few days after Christmas my whole family comes over to my house. We have a big Christmas dinner. After we eat me my sister and all my cosions play and then we open all the gifts from eveeryone!

    Logan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I do on christmas is my sister and I is open our presents at the same time. We also go over to our grandma's house and we do same thing as you do mr.fletcher! We do have alot of fun doing it to!

    -Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  10. My familys tradition is we always make chocolate pudding pie this year though were going to make it with gram cracker crust. i bet it will taste yummy, since my mom is making it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My tradition is to go to my aunt kris's house for christmas eve we do presents some times I always get a calender it is crazy when I get one every year when I get one I get either fish or animals then we go to sleep and we get up at eight and then we open presents from santa.

    from,Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  12. My tradition is me bing the first one up and the first to go in the stocking I can never open presentes untill my mom,dad and sister are up after that we go to my gramas for dinner I normale open presents when we git there and when Igit home I play with my new toys.
    from,Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. My family tradition is that on Christmas Eve, I go to chruch.On Christmas Day,we open presnts.At twelve o clock,my mom comes and picks me up.I can bring any presnts with me.When I go back to my house,I play with all the toys I got.
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are going to do the same thing you are going to do Mr.Flecher for christmas.We decited to do the same tradition. I believe the tradition is where yougoaround in a circle opening presents.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete