Monday, October 19, 2009

Thankful....and it's not even Thanksgiving

Over the weekend, I continued down the road to recovery and tried my best to leave this cold behind me. I also spent some time curled up on my couch while the boys napped to do some planning for future lessons and activities. As I was going through some stuff, I came across a writing prompt I usually give around Thanksgiving time, and then I started thinking of all the things I am thankful for right at this moment and all year long. Why do we tend to only think of what we're thankful for around Thanksgiving? Why not all the time? Could you imagine? As I mulled over these questions and what the possibilites of a world where we showed the kind of thanks that we do around Thanksgiving, all year round would be like! So with that in mind, here are some things that I am thankful for as of late...in no random order.



1. My class this year and their families.

As I hurriedly put together the permission slip this afternoon for our trip to Sugar Maples andThomas Locker's studio, I realized how lucky I was to have the students and families that I do, who although short notice, embrace and support the eduational opportunites available to their children. I'm not sure with any other group that I would be able to get a field trip off the ground in a day, so thank you for being you, and most importantly for being supportive and encouraging! (and understanding when I miss a typo in a permission slip)



2. Where we live.

Thinking about our upcoming field trips made me also think about how lucky we are to live where we do. There are so many fantastic places, people, and opportunities all around our school and we are so lucky to be able to take advantage of them. As I work on my certification for the National Board, I am constantly reminded of how important the community is to the success of the school. As someone who is not originally from our area, the support of the community in encouraging the success of my students has been amazing. Thank you Hunter and surrounding towns for making me feel welcome and helping me to give my students as many opportunities as possible.



3. Dogs

Mine especially, but all dogs in particular. I always seem to smile when I see one. I'm not dissing cats for all you cat lovers out there. My cats make me just as happy....when my dogs are not around!



4. Technology...most of the time.

I'm thankful to have this format to share work and thoughts with all of you. It's nice to have this space where I can catch people up or explain my thinking on any wacky idea I may come up with. This gives you the opportunity to back me up and reassure me or let me know that I am indeed out of my mind if something isn't going to work.

5. The compassion of my students.

While I was under the weather, one of the things that made it a little easier was knowing that my students would do fine without me. I was thrilled, and more importantly, proud, to see all the great comments that the substitutes left for me. In addition, while I was at school, to have kids wishing me well, completely on their own and out of the goodness of their hearts was some of the best medicine. It doesn't hurt my ego either when I say I have to leave and my students genuinely look sad instead of relieved or excited. So to my class...thank you for being the awesome group that you are!

I could keep going on and on with the things I am thankful for, but this is supposed to be a space for all of us. Take a minute or two and think about everything going on in your life. Now, I'll pose the question to you.....What are YOU thankful for?

I can't wait to read your comments.....which I am also thanful for!

With many thanks,

Mr. Fletcher

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing up this topic. I find that I need to practice having gratitude everyday. Life goes by too quickly and time is short. It is easy to get caught up in the negativity and the fast pace world. Being thankful gives me clarity to see things differently. I am most thankful for my family. Having people I love share in my life experience is amazing. Followed by my own class. My students are my second family.They provide purpose for me to go to work everyday. Next, is my community and school for providing a safe and nurturing environment for my children to grow up in. I would have to say that I am thankful for having heat, especially with winter coming. Music is also up on my list. Some days I just need to break a dance or sing out loud. Finally, my dogs. They are loyal, fun and just great to cuddle up with. My list could go on and on so I will leave with Enjoy Every Moment!
    Hara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hara. We are using the blog today for the kids to post their thanks and it was great for them to have a comment to read. Thanks Again.

    Mr. Fletcher

    ReplyDelete
  3. mr,fltcher. thanks to me is having the best teacher in the hole intier world.


    from,richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful for friends and music because they both make me very happy and games


    Molly Ellyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thank full that I have a great teacher that takes care of us. kameron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thankful for dog and a lot more max :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im thankful for all my vidogames.





    nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful for Skylar. If Skylar was not in fourth grade I would usually be sad, and bored. Skylar and I are best friends we help each other, and we also made up a club called nature club. This is what I am thankful for but I really am thankful for the peace we have and my life.
    Winnie Pan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thankfull all the animals around us. p.s where is a cat farms. by Eric Kappel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thankful for the stuff that we have. We all have a better life here than the poor countrys in the midle east. Every one should be thankful the food on our table and the experienc of the changing seasons even if they chang to soon. It is a good thing that everyone is heathy and strong.
    Kaylyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Im thankful for all my vidogames.






    nick

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am thankfull for what you did with the blog so we can go on the blog. ps you are cool. by griffin thorpe

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi mr.fletcher, i am thankful for the world we live in and even my dogs when i see my smaller dog sleeping on my bigger dog i smile. i am glad my friends and family are all heathey and we have all food and tv. some people cannot even aford to go to school or have food. that is why i am thankful for evey thing i have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I really am thankful for my friends and family because they help me through tough times. I am also thankful for music because I am trying to write a song and without music I wouldn't be able to find melodys that I could use. I think that is all but I really am thankful for peace in the world.
    Skylar Coons

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am thankful for having a family because some people don`t have family. I am also thankful for having food and water and friends,cause some people don`t have food or water or friends. I love seeing my cats playing with each other that is an other reason why I am thankful it is so cute to see them play.

    by Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am thankful for having a mom and dad for giving me a life.I am also thankful for my sisters and brothers and my animals. I am thankful also for my food and clothing. I am thankful for my friends and again my family. If I had no family i would be nothing. I am thankful for school,my friends,my teachers and all the other things I have. shian ferguson

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thankful for friends. I'm also thankful for school because it is fun and it makes people smart. I'm also really thankful for Mr.fletcher. I can't think of anything alse so have a great day! from leana

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are thankfull for everyone here. by Eric and griffin

    ReplyDelete
  19. i like the dog one because i like DOGS

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Mr.fletcher,
    I am thankful for my family and friends.We are lucky to have family unlike orphans everywhere in the world.Everyboby should be thankful to have caring parents.This is what I'm thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mr.Fletcher,
    Thanks to you I got the best teacher a kid would ever want well if your nicer just kidding.So I am thankful for music,reading,school,writing,and oh ya of course going on my laptop.LOL.

    From, Olivia Meyer

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! What wonderful comments. It is great to know that you all have so much to be thankful for. I thank you for making me smile as I read each comment:)
    Nice job,
    Hara

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am thankful that my daughter has a wonderful teacher that makes her want to go to school even more. I am thankful for all of olivia's classmates with all their special personalities that make being around you all so enjoyable and interesting. Most of all i am thankful for my family and my livvy lou!!!!!...MRS. MEYER

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have so much to be thankful for. It was wonderful to read your thoughtful comments. Thank you, Mr. Fletcher, for creating this blog space for special sharing. We all think you're awesome.
    Mrs. Lenz

    ReplyDelete