Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Are you 1, Are you 2....?"

I always get a kick out of hearing the kids immediately go into this chant after singing "Happy Birthday" to a friend.  The kids ask each number until the birthday person says "stop" on the number for their age.  Today, I thought about how funny it would be if the kids did this for me....all the way up to 35!  That's right, today is my birthday.  As always, I found myself looking for the little things along the way today that I could learn from.  There were actually quite a few.  For example, nothing is better than having your son sing Happy Birthday to you and then blow out all the candles on your cake so you don't have to.  I was also reminded of some great childhood memories today as my sister and I played the original Super Mario Bros. on my Wii.  In addition, I now know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of a re-gift, so I therefore will be sure to never do that to someone else.  Finally, I learned that I don't have to go out and do something wild and crazy  to be okay with being 35. 

A while back, during a conversation about upcoming birthdays, this woman asked me how old I was going to be and I said,  "35."  She replied with, "Well, you act like you're 10."  I don't think this not-so-nice person intended her response to be a compliment, but that is exactly how I took it.  So I guess that is the most important thing I learned today...it is totally fine to be 35, as long as I don't act like it!

Just another shooting star,
Mr. Fletcher

No comments:

Post a Comment